Friday, August 10, 2007

Place to hang

Yesterday, my friend Missy and I went to the twin towns of New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ for a day of gallery hopping. It was supposed to be more of a scouting mission for me. I wanted to get a feel for what the galleries featured, how the works were hung, in what frames, prices, etc. I hadn't planned on making contacts, but we started a casual conversation with one gallery owner about her style of frames. Before we knew it, she was online looking at my work. It was a helpful discussion filled with practicalities and helpful critique--all in all a positive exchange. She suggested that I bring the work to her for further discussion.

Today, I got an email from another gallery owner, closer to home, who is also interested in talking to me again about my work.

Meanwhile, I am having a show of my work in October at Moondancer Winery in Wrightsville, PA. That will come before I know it. Although I am confident in my ability to produce art that is marketable, I am a little apprehensive about launching myself into yest another field of business with a new set of circumstances. Part of me just wants to paint and turn over my canvases to someone else to deal. I know I don't want to go the art show route. Do I want to sell prints or just originals? I've barely cracked the literary world, trying to understand the intricacies of that business.

My gut is telling me that I need to journal a little (the longhand variety) and figure out my priorities. My other impulse is to paint, paint, paint. With my kids home this summer and all the publicity I have had to do for the book, I have carved out little time to paint and write. That needs to change... and soon!

No comments: