Thursday, August 2, 2007

I Hear America Talking

Yesterday, I visited Philadelphia as part of my publicity campaign for the book launch. Mr. Ralph Collier interviewed me in the lobby of the Omni Hotel for his syndicated talk show, "I hear America Talking." My friend Sue came with me for moral support. We drove into the city early. Good thing, too, because the trip that Mapquest predicted would take one hour and 13 minutes, took us two hours. (You can never predict traffic on the Schuylkill Expressway.) I overcame my apprehension of city driving and parking to get there.

We had a pleasant lunch and tried to tour some of Old Town. I am a history buff, especially the American Revolutionary period. Are you kidding? All that rebelling and making up your own rules? I've toured the homes of Washington, Adams, and Jefferson with my kids and husband. We've done the Williamsburg trip countless times, but I had never seen the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall (although my kids have). Sue and I missed out on the Independence Hall tickets. The people in front of us in line got them; we didn't. We saw the Liberty Bell and toured a strange little museum called the National Liberty Museum. By the time we finished, it was time for my interview with Mr. Collier.

Mr. Collier is one of those men who ooze the charm of a different era. He was dressed all in white, with hat and cane. The only deviation in color was his plaid jacket. Our radio interview went well, but we had plenty of unrecorded time to discuss other topics. Mr. Collier is a wellspring of knowledge of the cultural happenings, past and present, of Philadelphia. After buying us each a glass of wine and delivering a few naughty quotes from various art icons, Mr. Collier directed Sue and me to a Charles Wilson Peale portrait gallery across the street. It was a fine way to end our trip before the two-and-a half hour drive home.

No comments: