Monday, September 17, 2007

Sylvia and The Lady in the Water

We watched two movies recently: Sylvia and Lady in the Water. Sylvia's a pretty hard movie to watch. It was as uncomfortable as Sylvia Plath's poetry, but I liked that feeling. It made my own discomfort about writing seem almost--well--comfortable. I did like seeing the scenes where Sylvia did a lot of baking in her effort to avoid writing. I have canned and frozen more food this year than I ever have. One could say I wasn't working this summer, so of course, I was paying more attention to the garden. But I think there might be the argument that there was avoidance in my bounty.
The other movie we watched was Lady In the Water, by M. Night Shyamalan. It was generally panned, but I got a lot out of it. Of course, I enjoyed watching the fate of the critic. I like that Shyamalan tries to move away from formula. Sometimes, he is more successful than other, but I appreciate the effort.

No comments: